Annie Mack’s hard hitting folk song ‘Judge and Jury‘ takes a swipe at those who feel they have a right to decide what someone else should think, what someone else should do and what someone else’s access to equality should be limited to. It comes from a compilation album ‘#metoompls‘ of equally forthright songs.
It’s a compilation featuring artists from Minneapolis’s and it’s focus was inspired by the #metoo movement. The Minnesota Women/Femmes/Trans/Non-Binary Folk songwriting collective was started in late 2019, with the following objectives: Creating songs to raise Minneapolis Women/Femmes/Trans/Non-Binary Folk voices; Supporting sexual assault survivors; Raising funds for Planned Parenthood.
All the songwriters involved were asked to write and record an original song on the subject of #MeToo. Without any further guidelines, the artists delivered material ranging from heartbreaking songs about surviving sexual assault to inspiring songs about feminist icons and their influence on their lives. The full album listing is:
1. Ashleigh Still – Not Fuckin’ Around 3:01
2. Lydia Liza – Apple in My Pocket 3:12
3. Mary Bue – How to Forgive Your Rapist 3:00
4. Sarah Morris – Like It’s Gospel 4:00
5. Annie Mack – Judge and Jury 3:38
6. Linnea Mohn – A Part 3:26
7. Mayda – Oxygen Tank 3:10
8. Tina Schlieske – What Would You Pay (Dear Harvey) 4:14
9. Chastity Brown – Afraid of the Night 3:26
10. Ang Oase (ft. Christin Light) – Breakup Song 3:01
11. Annie Fitzgerald – I Know That Sound 3:53
12. Elska – On the Shoulders of Giants 4:04
13. r0 (Static Panic) – Sides to Lonely 5:01
14. Katy Vernon – Shine 4:59
15. Kara Laudon – I Do 3:13
16. Averil Bach – Radiation Blues 3:50
17. JØUR – Won’t Stop Me Now 3:32
>>> Please help to support the running costs of Americana UK, run by a dedicated team in our spare time, by donating £2 a month to us - we'll send you an exclusive 20 track curated playlist every month plus the opportunity to win our monthly giveaway. Click here for more information.