The Tennessee Department of Health Tuesday have revealed that Steve Earle’s son, the singer-songwriter Justin Townes Earle died in August of an accidental “acute combined drug toxicity.” Earle’s family also announced the results of the singer’s autopsy report with a plea to help those struggling with addiction. “Next to alcohol and cocaine, the autopsy report revealed traces of fentanyl indicating that that usage of fentanyl-laced cocaine resulted in an overdose,” they wrote.
“Even though Justin was very outspoken and concerned about the opioid epidemic and the dangers of the ‘legal’ drugs fed by the pharmaceutical companies, he became the victim of a deadly dose of fentanyl,” they continued “Illicit drugs laced with fentanyl are causing an enormous rise in overdoses, turning cocaine usage into an even deadlier habit. It only takes a few salt-sized granules of fentanyl to cause an overdose.”
“The effects of continual, long-term alcohol intake is deadly. Addiction is a disease and there are many avenues and treatments to become and stay free from alcohol and drug usage. If you or a loved one are struggling with substance addiction please know that you’re not alone and reach out for help. Don’t lose hope.”
There were around 70,000 drug-related deaths in the USA during 2019, a large proportion of which were from synthetic opioids such as fentanyl. The UK is also experiencing record levels of drug-related death, although mainly from traditional opioids such as heroin.
Last week we revealed the details of the new Justin Townes Earle covers album ‘J.T.’ which his father Steve will be releasing next month, with all of the proceeds donated to a trust for Justin’s daughter.
>>> Please help to support the running costs of Americana UK, run by a dedicated team in our spare time, by donating £2 a month to us - we'll send you an exclusive 20 track curated playlist every month plus the opportunity to win our monthly giveaway. Click here for more information.