‘The Prodigal Son’ is Ry Cooder’s first new solo release in six years, due for release by Fantasy Records on May 11th, 2018 (you can listen to the lead track, ‘Shrinking Man’ below). Recorded in Hollywood and produced by Cooder and his chief collaborator, drummer Joachim Cooder, the album’s 11 tracks, includes three Cooder originals along with a collection of his favourite spirituals of the last century.
“I do connect the political/economic dimensions with the inner life of people, since people are at risk and oppressed on all sides in our world today,” he stated. “There’s some kind of reverence mood that takes hold when you play and sing these songs. ‘Reverence’ is a word I heard my granddaughter’s nursery school teacher use, a Kashmiri woman. She said, ‘We don’t want to teach religion, but instill reverence.’ I thought that was a good word for the feeling of this music.”
The Prodigal Son Track List:
1. straight street (James W. Alexander / Jesse Whitaker)
2. shrinking man (Ry Cooder)
3. gentrification (Ry Cooder / Joachim Cooder)
4. everybody ought to treat a stranger right (Traditional; Blind Willie Johnson, Arr. by Ry Cooder)
5. the prodigal son (Traditional: Arranged by Ry Cooder /Joachim Cooder)
6. nobody’s fault but mine (Blind Willie Johnson / Arranged Ry Cooder / Joachim Cooder)
7. you must unload (Alfred Reed)
8. i’ll be rested when the roll is called (Blind Roosevelt Graves)
9. harbor of love (Carter Stanley)
10. Jesus and woody (Ry Cooder)
11. in his care (William L. Dawson)
>>> Please help to support musicians affected by the coronavirus crisis in the UK by donating £2 a month to us - we'll send you an exclusive 20 track curated playlist every month plus the opportunity to win tickets and CDs. Click here for more information.
>>> Are you a new or emerging artist seeking some exposure? - find out about our new Twang Factor here